Tuesday, February 3, 2015

January's Granny Square Swap

I know, I'm a few days late writing this blog post, but I had to get permission to post these granny squares.

A friend of mine and I decided to do a granny square swap. We're making each other five different granny squares every month, giving us sixty granny squares at the end of the year. Each granny square is 6" by 6".  The goal, for me, is to make a blanket, with the squares I receive, to put in Mopsy's hope chest. Yes I know she's only 5, but it is never too late to start a hope chest!

I got permission to show the granny squares I made, and only had to get permission because my friend hasn't seen them yet! We're a bit behind on giving our squares to each other, only because of conflicts in schedules. I did complete my January squares before January ended though!

Here's what I made, and I'll post the links to patterns, where I used a pattern!




This pattern is free on Ravelry. I did the star, which looks like the Star of David to me, in white with gold threads, bordered the star in black with gold thread, and finished it with same white with gold. I think it turned out gorgeous! I do promise this is a square, but it hasn't been blocked yet, and the corners turn wavy. 


Same pattern as above, but done in the opposite colors. I think the contrast is striking.



Once again, this is the same pattern as above, but I actually messed it up. :( Somewhere I only had five corners, instead of six. Once I realized it, it was too late, and I liked the star shape, so I kept it. I did have to do a lot of math to get the ring to be the same size as the six pointed star, and make it the same shape. It ended up working, but needs to be blocked to keep it's square shape.



These last two are just a normal granny square pattern. If you don't know how to make a granny square, here's a good tutorial. The only thing I do different is that I always do a magic ring, instead of the normal chain and slip stitch. I like having no hole in the center!


I really liked how these turned out! I can't wait to show you February's granny squares. Those turned out amazing!

Until Next Time,
In2Kermit

1 comment:

  1. I have squares from my granny, aunt and mother. I hope to add some squares myself and teach my daughter how to as well. 4 generations, 5 women! :D

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email