Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Odd Squad Badges

PBS has come out with a new show that my dinosaurs are obsessed with- called Odd Squad. For those who don't know what this show is about, it's about a group of kids who solve odd things that happen using math  (think FBI type of show). It's a great mix of math and humor, as I've found myself chuckling at the things being said on the show! The kids love this show, and love to play like they are members of the Odd Squad.

I started looking. online, to see if there was a way to make their own Odd Squad badges, and there wasn't. That didn't stop me, so I got creative.

Doing a Google search for Odd Squad badges, I was led to this review about Odd Squad. If you feel like reading the whole review, please do, as it's really well written! The thing that caught my eye was the massive Odd Squad badge on the front of the page!



I copied and pasted the picture into Photoshop and then added an additional image that I filled in solid.  We put in their agent numbers, when we created agents on PBS Kids. They get to play half an hour of an Odd Squad game, if they complete all their school work without any issues.  The numbers are the agent numbers they were given when they created their characters!



I decided to make them black and white, so that the kids actually had something to do in the project! It's not a very kid friendly project as it involves scissors, a laminator, and hot glue gun.

I printed these in black and white, and let the kids color them in before I started assembling them.

After the kids colored them, I cut them out and laminated them. You probably don't need this step, if you don't have a laminator, but I wanted these to last longer than a week!

After laminating them, I hot glued them to some black cardboard I had laying around. 

Once they were glued to the cardboard, I cut them out. It was quite hard to cut them, but worth it.

I cut a small piece of felt and attached it to the back side of the Odd Squad side. I glued the opposite end to the other side of the agent number, so when you flipped it open it revealed the agent number.

Hopefully these three badges will show you how to attach the felt so that it flips open to reveal the agent number.

I was going to attach a pin, or something, to help secure it to their shirts, but they slip right into the collars of their cloths so I didn't need to!

This was a really fun project, and it was even more fun to watch their imaginations go wild with their new badges- as they went to save the world using math!

Until Next Time,
In2Kermit

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for watching from all of us at Odd Squad - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIpr8m-y96E&feature=youtu.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for making that video! It really made their day to see it!

      Delete
  2. Cute idea! I'll have to check out the show too. We don't have cable so PBS is pretty much the only network that we get that shows cartoons. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where you're located, but the show is on 2 times a day here. At 7am and 4:30 pm. The kids have been voluntarily getting themselves ready early so they can watch the show before school starts!

      Delete
  3. Best show! Our adult friends get sucked in! So cool they did a vid for your kids! Those kids are great, and whoever writes that show has a video feed into my brain!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email