Monday, December 8, 2014

Making Tichels on the Cheap

I'm sorry for the lack of posts lately. With the holidays coming I've been in full blown craft mode. I promise, once the kids get their gifts, I'll have a ton of posts to show. One thing that I want to show is how to make your own headscarves really cheaply.

I have really fallen in love with making my own tichels, and find that I can accommodate my wardrobe easier when I make them, rather than trying to save the money to buy them. All it takes is a trip to your local fabric store, and some time to hem them up.

I'm very thankful that our local Wal-Mart store still has a fabric department. This would be harder to do if I couldn't get fabric so cheap! But, you can still make these by going to your local fabric store and checking out the clearance aisle. That's the key to saving money- buy off the clearance rack for fabric!

I found these gorgeous pieces, at Wal-Mart, for $2 per yard.


The green one is one large piece that goes from dark green into a white/green color. And I'm in love with the bird fabric. Both are silkier fabrics, and just gorgeous to wear. I got 2 yards of the bird fabric, and 2 1/2 yards of the green fabric.

All you need to do here is hem up the raw edges. You can cut to make sure that they will fit your head accordingly, but I found that I didn't need to. Since these fabrics are lighter weight, they fold up nicely and don't add a lot of bulk.

Here's the end result.

This is with the main dark green being the dominate color and wrapping the long ends together in a twist. This was also the scarf I wore for Thanksgiving, and I forgot to take my apron off for the picture! 

Here the white/green color is dominant. love how it looks like I have 2 scarves on, but it's really only one piece!

My favorite scarf of all- my bird one. So soft and elegant.

Now for totals. Each piece cost me $2 per yard. I got 2 1/2 yards of the green fabric, for a total of $5, and 2 yards of the bird fabric, for a total of $4. Grand total of $9 for 2 gorgeous scarves!

Until Next Time,
In2Kermit

2 comments:

  1. Can you use fabrics such as calico?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why not, but it might be really stiff.

      Delete

Follow by Email