Friday, August 8, 2014

Let's Hear it for the Men in Our Lives!

I don't know about you, but I'm growing increasingly sick and tired of TV shows, and even the commercials, making fun of the men in our lives. Most of the shows, and commercials, I'm thinking about have these men who, if they really acted like that, would be completely unable to even get out of bed themselves, let alone feed themselves. It seems like every TV show has this gross, overweight, and complete fool of a man, who bumbles around in these antics, only to be saved by his outrageously gorgeous, thin wife who is the only reason that man can even manage to make it through the day. The commercials, one in particular that I'm thinking about, show men that can't even comprehend how to wash the laundry, let alone do anything else! I'm not saying we need to go back to shows like "Father Knows Best", where it was the wife who was the bumbling idiot, and couldn't even comprehend what was going on in the world, but we've flipped sides completely.

I don't know about all of you, but my husband is my rock. He's the one that helps hold our prehistoric household together. Without him supporting us, I wouldn't not be a stay-at-home mom, who is homeschooling three out of our four children. It just wouldn't happen. My husband has a firm grasp on how to do things, and does them well- most of the time without me even asking! My father is an amazing man, who led our family through a lot, when I was growing up. That man worked himself to the bone trying to provide for us. His shifts were long and hard, but he never complained. My brother in laws are the same way! All of them are extremely hard working men, who, not only support their families, but lead them! My father in law worked in the Navy, was gone for most of the year, so that he could provide for his family. When he got home, he worked more to make sure that everything was working right in the house. He knows more about construction then most people I know! My sons have some wonderful examples of hard working men, and I know that the men, in my family, aren't the only examples. I know of so many examples, and yet the entertainment industry seems set on undermining these examples.

By showing how these overweight, sloppy, lazy men can somehow manage to marry this beautiful, thin, and smart woman who will fix everything that the man seems to bungle, it's teaching our sons that it's OK to just go through life not trying your best. It also undermines the father's authority over the children. That's why I was so excited to see this commercial.




Finally! Something that doesn't emasculate men, but shows how to be a dad. My husband said that within the first few minutes it was the perfect dialogue on how to be a dad. Sure it's a commercial to try and sell cereal, but the message is clear. A dad's job is to be the enforcer, and sometimes the re-enforcer. I really hope that this is just the start of more commercials, and hopefully TV shows, like this. Sadly a lot of children don't have a father figure, and without someone showing them the way they are more than likely to turn out just like that sloppy, lazy man. 

Let's lift our men up, and help them to be the fathers that they were created to be, and stop demoralizing them.

Until Next Time,
In2Kermit

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Ironically you posted this as your main subject, you should actually see my latest blog post - my hubby got some Extra Man Points for participating without being asked to...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read that blog post, Tanya! And yes, your hubby should have gotten extra man points for that! That was awesome of him to jump right in like that!

      Delete

Follow by Email