Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Free Reading Level Assessment

School is about to officially start for our prehistoric household. Jackasaurus and Mopsy have finished their summer school work, and I've given them a week off before we kick off our school year on the 3rd of September. I wanted to know how they have done, and where their reading levels were at for the year. Looking online can be daunting, especially if you don't know exactly what you are looking for. Most of the tests can cost quite a bit, which is frustrating when you just want to know where your kids are at for the start of the year. A fellow blogger turned up an amazing find, which led me to another find that helped with the problem of where my kids were reading at. The first link is an amazing website filled with tons of free homeschool things! Check them out and if you like what you see, subscribe to them! Homeschool Freebie.

On the Homeschool Freebie website I found a link to a Reading Level Assessment. I had Jackasaurus and Mopsy take both the tests, just to make sure that they were right on target. Mopsy, who will turn 5 in a few days, and is going into the 1st grade, tested at a 1st grade reading level! She was super excited, as she has been working really hard on learning to read. She wants to be so much like her big brother, and read as well as he does! I'm super impressed at how far she's come!

Jackasaurus blew me out of the water, on his reading level. For a 6 year old boy, who is going into the 2nd grade, he tested out at a 5th grade reading level, on both tests. I was stunned! If it had been just one of the tests, I would have called it a fluke, and gone for the lower reading level on the other test, but he scored that high on both. I've seen him read some hard books, so I feel rather confident that the tests are accurate and worth the time to test your kids.

Being a homeschool family can be rough, especially with people who don't understand why you homeschool. I feel that homeschool families are kept under a microscope, watching to make sure that your kids are really learning. I know that it was the case when I was homeschooled, as a child. Having a test that helps show how your kids are doing can alleviate some of those worries. Every child is different, and learns on a different schedule. As long as your child continues to learn, you are doing a great job! Check out some of those freebies, I posted above, and let the new school year begin!

Until Next Time,
In2Kermit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email