Sunday, July 27, 2014

Weekend Project

Summer has been crazy around here. Between people coming to visit, going places as a family, or working on areas of the house, we've been going non-stop this summer! This weekend's project was working on our boys' room. It's been sitting there, for over a year, unpainted and undecorated. Oh the kids have added their artwork here and there, but I still had their military decor that I wanted to put up!

We knew that we needed bunk beds for the boys. Up until a few days ago, they had been sleeping in two beds, that were on opposite sides of the room. Their room is large, but having the beds like that made the room feel so much smaller and didn't leave any room for them to really stretch out and play. We found a great deal on some solid wood bunk beds, and husband and Jackasaurus put them together. It was so neat to watch as hubby and Jackasaurus bonded and put the bunk beds together!


My two men hard at work!


This weekend it was time for the paint. Now we didn't allow our children to help paint the room. We got the lowest odor paint we could find, but still the smell was bad. Plus we didn't want paint everywhere, so the kids stood outside the door and watched as mom and dad painted. We were able to knock out the painting in one day, but we still had all the decor to put up today. Hubby and I make a great team, and really enjoy doing remodeling projects together.

Here's the result of the makeover. The room went from drab and uninspired to amazing (at least I think so!).

I made the boys' comforters and decorative pillows. 

Jackasaurus' comforter is an ode to the US Army

Alexsaur's comforter is an ode to the US Navy

Even the curtains have Military themed buttons on them!

The dressers were split apart, from the massive wardrobe that they had been, and a school desk was added to the room. The giant corkboard was a gift from a wonderful friend, and was easily split down the middle for both boys to use!


I put up pictures of some of the family members that have served in the US Military. My paternal grandfather was in the Army, and both of my Maternal grandparents served in Army as well.

The closet was painted the same blue color as the opposite wall, and since the doors had been taken off, we put some drawback curtains that I made up instead. 

I hand painted every letter, and drew the designs on them. These have a barbed wire pattern drawn on them, with sharpie.

These letters were the hardest to do. Drawing a rope, painting the inside, then outlining it with Sharpie was tough, but the effect was worth it! Please excuse the picture. My camera wouldn't focus for the anything!

All the cute little boat themed medallions, and the helicopter, plane and the tank were all bought at Hobby Lobby for dirt cheap. Perfect place to display their Build and Grow badges from Lowe's.

I found this lamp, when I was pregnant with Jackasuarus, and it fits the theme of the room so well!

I love having pictures of the men and women who served, in our family, gracing the walls. 
This shelf was another gift, from a wonderful friend. It had sports themed medallions on it, and while it was cute, it didn't go with the military theme for the room. We took one of the medallions off, in the center, and painted one of them the blue color, and the other a nice brown. It's the perfect spot to put hubby's Army hat, some badges, and a Scentsy warmer, in honor of all the branches of the Armed Forces.

Close up of my paternal grandfather and maternal grandfather and grandmother

To say that the boys were happy about their room would be an understatement. They were ecstatic about it! We plan on painting some giant war machines, in black chalk paint, but that will have to wait until Mopsy's room is done (that's next on our list) and the bathroom has been redone. I only wish that I had a picture of my father, who served in the Air Force, and a picture of my husband, who served in the Army. Sadly, those have been lost, but the stories still live on and we tell them to our children. I love how this room turned out, and while there are still bits and pieces to do (like staining the top of a dresser or adding the chalkboard paint) I can mark this room off of my to-do list!

EDIT: I forgot to put up the total for this room! I apologize!
Bunk beds with mattresses included- $358 with free shipping to home from Walmart. I got the Espresso color.
Sheet set- $60 for 2 of them. They were $29.99 from Walmart
Navy and Army comforters- $7 per yard at JoAnns. They were, originally, $15 per yard, but they were on sale, at the time, and I had a 1/2 off coupon. I bought 1 1/2 yards of each fabric.
Decorative pillows- I really don't remember. I bought the fabric years ago, when I worked in the Walmart fabrics department.
Throw Rug- $10 on clearance
Paint-$30. The blue color was mistinted by the paint company, so they gave it to me for 1/2 off. The green paint was $20 for a gallon.
Curtains- I made these years ago, and I know that I got fabric that was only $1 per yard, but I can't remember how much fabric I got, or the total. We're talking about 5 years ago I made those! Same goes for the buttons. I think I got those at Hobby Lobby, but I can't remember.
Cork Board- Free. It was a gift from a friend
Dressers- Bought at a garage sale over 5 years ago. I think it only cost us about $20, but I could be wrong.
School Desk- Free. Was given to us by a friend
Blue Curtains for closet- I made these while we lived in our old house, and needed to cover a massive picture window. I know I only bought the $1 per yard fabric, but once again I don't remember how much I got. It was about 5 years ago that I made those.
Shadow boxes for pictures and badges- I had a 1/2 off coupon for Hobby Lobby, and these frames ended up costing me less than $2 each. The badges I got at a military surplus store, and I can't remember what I paid for them.

Total Cost for the remodel- $458

The only reason this room cost so much was because of the bunk beds. It would have cost much less if we hadn't bought those, but they were needed badly!

Until Next Time,
In2Kermit

1 comment:

Follow by Email