Monday, June 23, 2014

Tamale Pie

For the first years of our marriage, I had heard about tamale pie that my husband used to have as a kid. He claimed it was really good, and after years of searching I found the recipe. I did everything that the recipe said to do and... it was disgusting. My husband said it was the exact recipe he remembered, but that his tastes must had changed, because it was so bland! Even the kids wouldn't eat it; they thought it was gross!

I wasn't going to give up on this recipe though. I followed it to the letter, but after looking it over I could see why it turned out so gross. There was little to no seasoning in the bottom layer, and the meat section was pretty plain. So, I gave it a serious makeover tonight, and tried again. This time it was a hit! The kids scarfed it down, along with a kale and tomato salad, and begged for seconds. Hubby said it was incredible and loved every bite! Hurray for fixing a broken recipe! So, I'm sharing it with you. This could also easily be made vegan as well. Just don't put in the meat and top with soy cheese!


Tamale Pie

For the Base:
2 cups of cornmeal
2 tsp of salt
2 tsp of cumin
2 cups of cold water
2 cups of boiling water

Mix cold water, cornmeal, salt, and cumin in a saucepan. Add boiling water and cook over medium heat until it's the consistency of cream of wheat. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 min, to set up cornmeal base.


Filling:
1 pound of ground meat (Any kind. Can also be left out for a vegan option)
1 chopped onion
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 28oz can of diced tomatoes- undrained
2 tsp of cumin
1 tsp salt
1 can of black beans
1 cup of cooked lentils (could use canned as well)
2 Tbsp of Gluten Free Flour
Shredded cheddar cheese (or soy cheese for the vegan option)

Cook ground meat until done, and add onions. If omitting the meat, just saute the onions. Combine seasonings into the meat mixture. Add tomatoes, black beans, and lentils. Stir well and cook until heated through. Add flour to the sauce, and cook until the sauce thickens. Pour over  cooked cornmeal base. Top with shredded cheese and bake for 25 min, at 350 degrees. Let cool for about 10-20 minutes before cutting and serving.

My family adored this recipe, and I'm glad that I chose to give this a second "updated" chance. The first recipe was pretty bad, but this one is definitely a keeper!

Until Next Time,
In2Kermit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email