Thursday, May 1, 2014

Gluten Free Tortillas

My sister posted this recipe on her Blog about coconut flour tortillas. The recipe sounded interesting, and I wanted to try my hand at making some Gluten Free ones. To be honest I hate the taste of those corn tortillas. They are fine in some things, but for the most part the corn taste is so overpowering that I just can't eat them; not to mention they break apart when you try to roll them for normal burritos. So I decided to try this recipe, substituting the flour for Gluten Free All Purpose flour. I really like the one from Nameste. Sadly, my first attempt was a disaster! The dough was gummy and didn't hold together at all and tasted bland, but on my second batch they were perfect, so I decided to share how I made them.

Keep in mind that when working with rice flour, it's rather absorbent. So you might need a bit more water than I did, if you are using another brand of rice flour.




Ingredients

3 cups of Gluten Free all purpose flour
3 tablespoons of coconut oil, slightly warm
About 1 tablespoon of salt (you can use less but I found that adding the recommended amount of salt, in the original recipe, added nothing. All you tasted was the rice flour.)
2 teaspoons of cumin
1 cup of water.

Combine the oil, flour, salt and cumin with a pastry cutter, in a bowl. Slowly add the water and mix in until a thick dough starts to form. Use your hands to thoroughly mix the dough and shape. Let sit for about 20 min in bowl.

In a medium skillet, heat some olive oil on medium high heat. Take a chunk of dough and roll out on a piece of parchment paper. Trust me the rice flour will not come off of a countertop, and will break trying. Use parchment paper to avoid too much breakage. Roll the dough out as thin as you can, without breaking the dough- about 1/4 inch thick. Immediately place in hot oil and cook for about 1-2 min on each side. Remove and place on a paper towel to soak up extra oil. Serve warm.



I got about 6 tortillas out of this recipe, and they tasted amazing. My husband didn't care for them, but that's only because he doesn't like coconut oil and said he could taste the flavor of the oil in them. I didn't taste it, but be aware that if you don't like the taste of coconut oil, you might taste the flavor of the oil in these. We had 1 leftover tortilla, that I stored in the fridge for the next day. They did get harder, but they were almost like pita bread the next day. It was delicious with some guacamole.

Until Next Time,
In2Kermit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email