Thursday, September 26, 2013

Removing Wax From a Yamaha Clavinova


Yes, I can be a major klutz sometimes, and I should have known better than to put my Scentsy warmer on top of my piano, but I had it there anyway. And wouldn't you know that I accidently knocked the warmer over- all over the keys and the case.

Let me give you a bit of backstory on this keyboard, and why it was so imperative to try and save this keyboard. I have owned this keyboard for over 13 years, and before that it was the main keyboard for the church I used to play for. The church wanted to get rid of it, and instead of selling it some buyer for what it was really worth, the pastor decided to sell me this keyboard for $1. Yes, a keyboard that was worth over $4000 used, was sold to me for $1. It still is such a miracle to me, and everytime I play it I can sense Adonai's favor on me!

Fast forward to 2013, and the kids wanting to learn piano lessons. Well, this old keyboard had been having issues with some keys, and we looked into replacing it, so that the kids could learn. Come to find out that this keyboard, to this day, is still worth between $3000-$4000, so replacing it was completely out. We settled for a cheap keyboard for the kids, and that's what they use instead of mom's piano.

My husband was able to fix the messed up keys, and then I spilled wax all over this keyboard. Luckily my husband knows how the wiring works, from taking it apart to work on the keys, and knew that the wax wouldn't harm the circuits. But it sure made the keys nasty, hard to clean, and sticky. Well, there was hope for the piano yet, and I knew that I had to try and fix it.




First things first, I took a razor and gently scraped off the wax that I could see. Let me tell you, for one cube of Scentsy wax, there was a ton of wax all over the keys. It was stuck to the keys, in between the keys, behind the keys, on the case. It was everywhere!

This Mr. Clean eraser was AFTER cleaning the stains. Yeah, they were gross!


After I got the majority of the wax off the keys, I took Goo- Gone and applied it to a micro-fiber cloth. Then I scrubbed the crud out of the keys- literally. It took about 40 min. to completely scrub off the wax.

After that, there were still stains on the keyboard. Most of them weren't from the wax, but from years of abuse. I'm not the only one that has played this keyboard in the past, and the previous pianist had anointed this piano with grape juice (on accident). So, I took my Mr. Clean Magic eraser and went to work on the keys. Surprisingly, a lot of the stains came off, but stains from 14+ years ago seemed to be embedded in the keys and refused to budge. You win some, you lose some. For the most part, the stains came up and that keyboard looked better than it had in years!





Yeah, that brownish mark was from the juice spill over 14 years ago.  But, I was able to get off all the wax from the keys, the cover and polish the keys and piano. I would not recommend doing this to a real piano, as you might destroy the keys. If your piano has ivory keys do not do this! Scraping the keys, with a razor, might destroy them and using any cleaners might destroy them as well. My keys are weighted plastic, so they are fine. It took a lot of time and patience and muscle, but the keyboard looks good as new. Here's hoping I get another 15 years out of this beauty, before I have to replace it!

Until Next Time,
In2Kermit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email