Sunday, June 2, 2013

How to Restore a Bathtub Faucet Set Using 1 Ingredient


So, I've told you how we closed on a house this past Friday. The very next day we started on painting and cleaning our new house. The previous owner had been living there barely. He and his wife lived farther west of the house, and he spent maybe a few hours there, tops. And boy did it show! The house is dirty! Lucky for my family, I can clean anything, and make it look great. Today I want to share how I restored the most disgusting bathtub faucet set using 1 ingredient, and it's 1 ingredient found in every house across the United States! Don't believe me? Let the picture speak for itself!

I swear to you, this is the exact same set, and I cleaned it using 1 thing, and NO scrubbing at all. That 1 ingredient?

Distilled Vinegar.

Yep, you read right, I just used distilled vinegar! My loving husband took apart the entire faucet on the tub and broke everything down into pieces for me so that everything could get nice and clean. I then put the pieces into bowls and covered it with straight vinegar. DO NOT dilute it! Vinegar breaks up the hard water stains and the mold that was growing in the plastic knob.

Before I soaked them. Notice the dull grey color and the mold growing in the plastic knob?

Soaking in the straight vinegar
 I left the hardware soaking for about 2 hours, while my husband and I worked on more painting.
My husband painting the dining room wall.
After about 2 hours I took the pieces out of the bowls and washed them with a soft brush and warm water. The hard water just washed right off. I dried them with a microfiber cloth, and for good measure sprayed a bit of bath oil on them and rubbed it in. You don't have to do this step, at all, it just helps the water stains to stay away longer.
So much better! The hard water is gone, and the set looks brand new!
So much better, huh? I saw the bathtub faucet set, and my husband thought that we would just have to replace it. I'm glad to say that we won't have to replace anything for awhile, even if the style isn't what I want. It works for now, and looks fantastic! Right now I have the bathroom sink's faucet soaking in vinegar, so I expect that it will look just as fabulous here in a few hours! Look for other great cleaning tips soon!

Until Next Time,
In2Kermit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email