Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Granny Square baby blanket with Cable stitch border


It is baby palooza around here, and I'm loving it! Mostly, because it's not me that's pregnant this time around! I have 5 friends, who are expecting, and one of them is my sister! I am so excited to be an Aunt, finally! It's even neater, because my sister is expecting twins! She's a twin herself, so there was always an increased likely hood that she would have a set as well! I am beyond excited to meet the twins! So, if you're keeping count, I have 6 babies that I want to make something for. Most people will either get a baby blanket, or a crocheted stuffed animal. Well, one mom is due here in a few months, so her blanket got first dibs. I love this design; it crochets up really fast, and the border just adds the right touch. This is my first attempt at writing a pattern, so if you end up using it, please let me know how it turned out. I've made this blanket dozens of times, but then again I know how to do the difficult stitches. Please let me know if there needs to be corrections, or there are errors in the pattern!



Materials needed:
Bernat Baby Sport yarn (it is a #3 type yarn)
Crochet hook sz. 4.25.

There is no gauge here. I used this hook, because it produced a smaller stitch for the light weight yarn. If you're using a heavier weight yarn, then I would use a 5 to 5.5 size hook.

To Make the Blanket:

Ch 4; join with sl st in first ch to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout the pattern), 2 dc in ring, ch 1, (3 dc in ring, ch 1) 3 times; join with sl st in top of beg ch - 12 dc and 4 ch-1 sp at the end of this rnd.
Rnd 2: Sl st in each of next 2 dc, (sl st, ch 3, 2 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in first ch-1 sp (first corner made), *(3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in next ch-1 sp (corner made); rep from * 2 more times; join with sl st in top of beg ch - 4 corners at the end of this rnd.
Rnd 3: Sl st in each of next 2 dc, (sl st, ch 3, 2 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in first ch-1 sp, *3 dc in sp between next 2 dc-groups, (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in next ch-1 sp; rep from * 2 more times, 3 dc in sp between next 2 dc-groups; join with sl st in top of beg ch - 4 corners with 1 dc-group between corners at the end of this rnd.
Rnd 4: Sl st in each of next 2 dc, (sl st, ch 3, 2 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in first ch-1 sp, *(3 dc in sp between next 2 dc-groups) twice, (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in next ch-1 sp; rep from * 2 more times, (3 dc in sp between next 2 dc-groups) twice; join with sl st in top of beg ch - 4 corners with 2 dc-groups between corners at the end of this rnd.
Rnd 5: Sl st in each of next 2 dc, (sl st, ch 3, 2 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in first ch-1 sp, *(3 dc in sp between next 2 dc-groups) across to next corner ch-1 sp, (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in corner ch-1 sp; rep from * 2 more times, (3 dc in sp between next 2 dc-groups) around; join with sl st in top of beg ch.
Rnds 6-30: Rep Rnd 5 twenty four more times.
Rnd 31: ch 2. Sc in second stitch from hook. Sc in every st, making 2 sc in the ch 1 spaces. Cont. around, and sl to join.

The Border: The border is really confusing, so I took photos of the steps. I hope that it clears up what you need to do!

Rnd 32: (uses next 3 sc) ch 3 
 skip next 2 sc. sc in next sc (the 3rd from the ch).
 Turn your work around to the back side; sc in the 3 chs that are now a loop.
Slip st in the bottom sc (sc made before ch 3)
Turn your work back around to the right side; working behind the cable st, sc in 2 skipped sc
Slip st in the 3 line, which is where you first joined the ch 3 to the row. Continue by ch 3, joining to the 3rd sc, to make the Cable st. Your end product should look like this

This blanket is a favorite by moms and babies alike. Mom's like the pretty stitches, and all of the babies I've made them for, love having a light blanket on them.
Until Next Time,
In2Kermit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email