Monday, November 5, 2012

Making a 18" inch doll into a boy doll



I have to start this post with a bit of a back story, first. Jackasaurus' best friend, at church, is J. They are the same age, like alot of the same things, and have so much fun playing together. All I hear, during the week, is, "J and I did this in church!" and so on. The sad thing is, J's family was the youth pastors, and have felt like God is calling them back to Arizona. Jackasaurus' best friend is leaving at the beginning of the year.

Now, around the time we heard that J was leaving, we also got the American Girl catalog. Jackasaurus was enthralled with all the accessories; like a car, Indian teepee, and so many other cool things! The one question he had was, "Where is the boy dolls, mom?" Good question!

After some research, I found what I thought was a great action figure.


Jackasaurus saw this, and his first words were, "That looks just like J!" The item description said that it was an 18" doll, and many of the product reviews said it was alot like American Girl dolls, and fit the same size clothes. So, I ordered it, thinking it would be great for Christmas.

Well, on Halloween I got this guy, from Amazon. Yeah, this doll was a MAJOR disappointment. First off, the packaging was slashed, like someone had taken a box cutter to it, and his face has a slash on it too. But, I figured maybe the slash wouldn't matter much, if I painted it, as long as the guy itself was in good condition, and it fit the Air Force Flight suit I had gotten for it. So, very carefully, I took it out of the package. This guy was so thin, it looked almost anerexic. I mean no disrespect for those who are battling that horrible disease, but this doll was WAY to thin. The Flight Suit just hung on him, not to mention that the joints barely kept this guy upright. So all the issues with this guy, I decided to return him, and sent him back the next day.

I still wanted to get Jackasaurus a boy doll, or action figure: whatever you want to call it, it's all the same. So, after researching on turning an American Girl doll into a boy, I found a pretty good solution, and I'm going to share how I did it.

First off, I found this doll at Target


The price was great, and I liked the fact that this doll had the same hair color and same eye color as Jackasaurus. Also, I liked the fact that it came with a simple white shirt, blue shorts, and blue tennis shoes. This doll fit the requirements perfectly, to turn this into a boy!

I found this Picture Tutorial on how to cut the hair, to make it look good. I'm not a hairdresser, so I wanted to make sure that I did this right!
 First off, I removed the makeup off of the doll's face, using pure acetone nail polish remover. Make sure to test it on the back of the neck, where you won't see it, in case the acetone removes the color of the skin. In this doll's case, the skin color was the plastic, and the only paint was the makeup. I was able to remove the makeup easily, and wash the face with soap and water, to make sure there was nothing left on the face.




 Then, I got ready to cut the hair. I took out the braids, and pulled it into a low ponytail. Then, following the Tutorial, I started cutting. Sadly, I was not able to cut the hair and take pictures. I had to cut the hair, fend off a baby from trying to grab the doll, and not mess up! Taking pictures was the least of my worries! But, after cutting, I washed the hair in warm water and with baby shampoo. Here's the finished product.









I bought the Flight Suit and the boots from Doll Clothes Store. I think it turned out great, and I know that Jackasaurus will love it! It even looks a little bit like his friend, J!

Until Next Time,
In2Kermit

8 comments:

  1. very kind of u to go to so much effort for ur son. this could be a nice "stay @ home mom" job. wonder how many orders u can get after advertising?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like these but the first doll is way tooooo skiney and has noby knees and noby arms

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post. I'm going to try it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. My son did the same thing with the American girl doll book. I will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really wanna try but im just scared to lose 22 dollars. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully understand! Try taking off a bit at a time, seeing how you like it as you go. Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect. Your child will love it no matter what!

      Delete
  6. Great post. My daughter loves AG dolls. Go the cheap route. Kmart has $15 18in dolls and so does Michaels. I usually just hit the thrift stores to find used AG dolls. $4 usually. Duct tape makes great clothing for the dolls.

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email