Friday, October 19, 2012

Make Your Own Laundry Detergent


I've had a alot of people ask me what my recipe is for my homemade laundry detergent. I've been making this recipe for over a year, and have only made 2 batches. With 5 people in the house, I do about a load every day. I've found that the recipe I use lasts about 9 months. The cost, for all the ingredients is about $20, so the savings is tremendous! Here's the recipe that I use!

1 4 lb 12 oz box Borax (2.15 kg or 76 oz) found in the detergent aisle


1 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (1.81 kg)I found this in the detergent aisle, but it could also be in the baking aisle

1  box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 55 oz (3 lb 7 oz) found in the detergent isle

3 bars of Fels-Naptha soap, found in the detergent isle

2 small containers of Oxy Clean or store brand Oxy Clean (try to get about 3.5 lbs total (1.58 kg)) found in the detergent isle.
Purex Crystal Laundry Softener. (completely optional)

You should be able to find all of these items at your local Mart store.

*Use 1-2 TBSP per load. You don't need any more, because the store brands have alot of fillers. This doesn't. Trust me, it works just fine at 1-2 TBSP.*

This detergent is fairly mild smelling, it is not over powering. I like my laundry to have a fresh scent, and don't like to use those dryer sheets, so I add just a bit of those laundry crystals when I add the laundry detergent. You can find them in the laundry aisle.

Start out by grating your Fels-Naptha soap just like cheese. You can use a food processor or just use your hand held grater, what ever you have.
**Don't worry the Fels-Naptha will dissolve in your washer even if you only use cold water. And this recipe is completely safe for HE washers**
Toss all ingredients in a 5 gallon bucket lined with a garbage bag. Once everything is mixed, store soap however you like. The recipe makes about 2 gallons worth of detergent. I bought a massive cereal container at Wal-Mart, and store mine in there. I bought some letter stickers, then sealed the stickers on with ModPodge. I saved the scoop from the Oxi-Clean container, measured where the 1 TBSP line was, and marked it with a permanent marker.

This soap works wonderfully. I made the soap, in the above picture, about July, and I've used about 1/2. It saves so much money, that I doubt I will ever buy another laundry soap!

Until Next Time,
In2Kermit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email