Saturday, October 13, 2012

Baked Potato Soup





There is nothing like a creamy bowl of soup on a rainy day. It's soothing, comforting and filling. I love this recipe, that my mom found when I was in grade school. It's been a family favorite for years! I always serve this soup with a piping hot loaf of home made bread. Nothing like it on a dreary day!
  • 4 baking potatoes
  • bacon, cooked and crumbled – about 12 slices or 1/2 cup
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 2/3 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • 6 cups milk
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese
  • 1 c. sour cream
  • salt & pepper
Bake the potatoes until tender. Cool them and then split them in half and scoop out the pulp. You can either keep the skins for some other recipe, or throw them in your compost pile.  Now, tonight I was in a time crunch, so I boiled the potatoes, then removed the skins. It didn't taste any different, and was so much easier! I just mashed them up and set them aside. It turned out so well, that I might make this soup like this from now on!

In a large pot, melt the butter.  Stir in the flour and cook for a minute.  Gradually add the milk.  Cook over medium heat until it’s bubbly.  Don’t let it boil and stir it often.  Add the potato pulp, cheese, bacon, green onions, sour cream, and salt & pepper to taste.
Heat the soup through, but don’t let it boil.  Serve it with extra cheese and green onions.

Enjoy!
In2Kermit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email