Friday, February 24, 2012

Little Chicks and Nest


I don't know about you, but I have about a million of those little plastic eggs, sitting in the basement, waiting for Easter. I don't think I've ever used them all, when doing our Easter egg hunts, and so the little eggs continue to just sit in a plastic tub. I'm always trying to think of cute ways to decorate, but also use what I have, instead of wasting money and buying new stuff. Well, I made 3 different sets of animals (the other 2 I will share on later posts), and I thought I would share how I made them!

You will need:
Plastic eggs
Cardstock paper, in colors to match your eggs, and in a color for the beak
hot glue gun
scissors
Sharpie
Bone Folder
A bowl
Brown yarn
Brown Easter basket paper
double sided tape

Directions:
Cut out 2 wings, for each egg. I didn't have a template, so I just 'winged' it! HA! I 'crack' myself up sometimes! Anyway, just make 2 wing type shapes. Cut out a square in orange for the beak.
Fold the orange paper in half, making the beak. I ended up clipping the ends of the triangle off, where it sits against the egg, to make it fit a bit better.  Hot glue to the very top of your egg

Make a small fold on the wide part of your wing. It makes it much easier to glue onto your bird. Hot glue onto the seam of the egg, making sure that it's equally distant, so your bird doesn't look lopsided. Hold in place with your bone folder, until dry.
Curl your wings under, using your fingers. Your can curl them down as much as you like.

Add 2 black dots for eyes, using the Sharpie, and you have a little bird!

To make the nest:
I hot glued some yarn to the bottom. While it worked, it was way to messy to keep going like that, so I took double sided tape and decided to stick the yarn on like that.
I wrapped the yarn, making sure that the yarn was hitting the tape as much as possible. I kept wrapping the yarn around, until the outside was completely covered. I filled it with brown Easter grass, and put my 3 little hungry birds in the nest!
My son says that they need some worms, but I think we'll pass on that one! Tomorrow, I'll show you how to make an adorable set of pigs, in a pile of mud!

Until Next Time,
In2Kermit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email